The Las Vegas Global Economic Alliance publishes its annual report to share success stories, show progress on our action plan, highlight key performance metrics, and showcase our investors, board members, and finances.
Over the past 12 months, the Las Vegas Global Economic Alliance worked to enact our mission of growing the economy of southern Nevada through connectivity, community development, and aggressive business recruitment, retention, and outreach. Here are our TOP 10 ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- The LVGEA helped facilitate 36 business expansions and relocations since January, projecting the creation of more than 5,679 new jobs in the community over the next five years. Nevada had the fastest private sector job growth in the U.S. during the first quarter of 2017.
- The LVGEA’s Board of Directors reached 50 members this year, completing its two-year long “Drive to 50” campaign. Known as the “LVGEA 50” the board continues to be the largest C-level business board of its kind in the state.
- The LVGEA released five new reports in 2017 that provided insights on various aspects of the economic development in the region: A Way Forward for APEX, Target Industry Validation Study, Southern Nevada Workforce Report Card, Workforce Blueprint, and Manufacturing & Logistics Outlook.
- The LVGEA became an Accredited Economic Development Organization (AEDO) through the International Economic Development Council. The certification puts LVGEA in an elite group of economic development organizations (top 1 percent) with status as a leading authority on economic-related issues.
- The LVGEA hosted its first-ever policy trip to Washington, D.C in July, which included board members, community partners and local chambers of commerce.
- The LVGEA earned several awards in 2017. The organization’s online Data Portal received an Excellence in Economic Development Award during the International Economic Development Council’s Annual Conference. The Nevada Economic Development Conference presented the LVGEA with two awards recognizing its excellence in Multimedia/Video Promotion and Website. The LVGEA also accepted an award from fDi intelligence naming Las Vegas as one of the top 7 “Large American Cities of the Future.”
- The LVGEA teamed up with the UNLV Center for Business and Economic Research on Dec. 6 for a new signature event called Outlook ’18, which provided the first look into next year’s economic forecast. With more than 400 guests in attendance, the event was a success as it sold out three weeks in advance.
- Many of the policy priorities supported by LVGEA’s Board of Directors during the 2017 Nevada Legislative Session became law, including: restored funding for film tax credits; additional funding for education; financial literacy in schools and various bills to improve transit as well as public private partnerships for transportation.
- As cities across the nation answered a request for proposals for Amazon HQ2, the LVGEA led the nation’s most successful social media campaign for the bid on Oct. 20, reaching an audience of more than 7 million and becoming a top Twitter trend. Called #Amazon2Vegas, the campaign was a collaborative effort between public, private and education entities, to showcase economic development in Southern Nevada.
- The LVGEA sold out its first two signature events over a month in advance earlier this year: the State of Economic Development held on Feb. 1 and its Perspective event on May 24.